Homeschool policy & requirements:
1. Responsibility - The total responsibility for the legitimate and effective education of the children rest upon, and solely upon, the parents of the children. All parents who home school under the auspices of this ministry agree not to hold the ministry, the church, nor the officials or people associated with the ministry or the church liable for the education, social development, or quality of character of the student being schooled at home. Victory Christian School nor Tuscaloosa First Assembly will be held accountable for, nor liable for any injury occurring on church / school property. Parents are responsible for ensuring the integrity of their educational program and the safety of their children.
2. Accountability - Each family participating in this ministry agrees to be accountable to and agreeable with this home school ministry and its representatives.
3. All families will provide a list of curriculum and materials to be used for the upcoming year. The parents are responsible for the costs and administration of curriculum and materials used.
4. Families should instruct their children approximately 175 days for an academic school year. These 175 days include days present, days sick, and no more than 8 teacher work days. The basic course of academic study includes; but is not limited to reading, spelling, writing, arithmetic, geography, English, science, health, history, physical education, computer, and Bible; throughout the total course of study (grades 1 - 12).
5. Parents are required to notify Victory Christian School if there are any changes in their phone number, address, or school enrollment status. (This is very important in case we have to contact you with important information) Failure to inform the school with any new information could result in dismissal of the students from the school. Also, if you decide to discontinue your homeschooling you should contact the church school administrator first to complete your grades and get required paperwork for entry into another school. Re-enrollment in VCS is required each school year, be sure to fill our a new enrollment form.
6. There are two required record days during the year. One parent is required to come in to turn in records in January and in June. These meetings are a time to check attendance, grades, and list of curriculum, which is required documentation.
7. The homeschool teacher must keep lesson plans or journals, attendance sheets, and grades current and complete.
8. VCS is no longer requiring that your students be tested using a nationally standardized test, like the S.A.T or IOWA, but we suggest that parents do testing for their own information.
9. We no longer require you to be a member of the Tuscaloosa Home Educators (THE), but we do suggest that you join this organization for sports and information. (It is no longer included in your fee) You can join by going to their website: Tuscaloosahomeeducators.com
10. Each home schooling family will appoint a Principal Teacher who shall keep all records, including attendance, grades, curriculum lists, and lesson plans or journals.
11. If you do not have a church that you regularly attend, we strongly recommend that you search for one. We welcome you to visit our church services.
12. Philippians 4:6 says: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God." We believe in prayer and would like to pray for you. Let us know of your prayer requests, either by mail or email: firstname.lastname@example.org